La FRB a été créée en 2008 et réunit les organismes publics de recherche, les associations de défense de l’environnement, les gestionnaires d’espaces et de ressources biologiques, ainsi que les entreprises.
Elle constitue un point de convergence entre la science et la société, autour des défis que doit aujourd’hui relever la recherche sur la biodiversité.
En savoir plus sur la FRB
[BiodivERsA] Programme officer, IPBES Technical Support Unit on Knowledge and Data
Fondation pour la recherche sur la biodiversité (FRB) – 195, rue Saint-Jacques – 75005 PARIS, France
Duration: Fixed-term contract 34 months. This is a full-time position.
Monthly salary: 2,200 € before tax, depending on education and experience
Starting date: as soon as possible
Application deadline: December 13th, 2019
How to apply: Please send a CV and a cover letter to Frédéric Lemaître, IPBES TSU Lead on Knowledge, (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Dec. 13th, 2019.
ContextBiodivERsA is experienced in the process of catalyzing the generation of new knowledge in response to identified knowledge gaps and policy needs and was selected by IPBES in 2019 to host the ‘Knowledge’ functions of its TSU on Knowledge and Data, in FRB offices in Paris, France. The TSU supports the Task Force on Knowledge and Data in implementing its objectives (i.e. support for knowledge gaps identification and catalyzing the generation of new knowledge) and related work plan. The other part of the TSU (Data functions) is hosted by Senckendberg (Frankfurt, Germany).
Main role and dutiesUnder the direct supervision of the TSU Lead on Knowledge and in close collaboration with the IPBES Task Force on Knowledge and Data, the IPBES main Secretariat (Bonn, Germany) and the TSU on Data (Frankfurt, Germany), the Programme Officer will:
- Develop materials to propose and present processes at expert meetings to catalyze new knowledge generation based on gaps identified in IPBES assessments;
- Follow and contribute to the implementation of processes to identify knowledge gaps and needs in IPBES assessments, in collaboration with other TSUs and working with the scientific experts writing these assessments;
- Identify key stakeholders (in particular international research programmers and funders on biodiversity) and initiate contacts around proposed activities for the uptake of knowledge needs identified in IPBES assessments;
- Plan and implement on-line and physical workshops with IPBES scientific experts and relevant international stakeholders programming and funding research on biodiversity globally and regionally;
- Develop and implement a monitoring plan identifying impacts of IPBES’s work on knowledge generation, and provide inputs for IPBES communications.
- Engage in the TSU’s administrative and financial management and support the fulfillment of formal narrative and financial reporting requirements.
[FRB] Stage de Master 2 - Diagnostic des interfaces « recherche sur la biodiversité – politiques et actions publiques »
Fin des candidatures : 20 décembre 2019
Disponibilité : Stage de 5 à 6 mois débutant entre février et mars 2020
Merci d’envoyer votre CV et une lettre de motivation à email@example.com
Gratification selon le plafond horaire de la sécurité sociale et avantages
Au sein du pôle « Science et communautés de recherche », le (la) stagaire sera chargé(e) d’établir un diagnostic des interfaces « recherche – politiques et actions publiques » au prisme des projets financés par l’ANR sur la thématique « biodiversité ».
[FRB-Cesab] Postdoc Position: Deep learning for poverty prediction from satellite images
Salary: 2500€ gross/month
Contract: 2 years fixed term, full time
Closing date for applications: 15th February 2020
Starting date: May 2020
The candidate will implement and compare various deep learning architectures for characterizing poverty in the context of land desertification and predict consumption expenditure, using satellite images in various resolutions (e.g. Sentinel 2 sensor with 10 to 60 m resolution and 13 spectral bands, optical SPOT 6/7, and Pleiades images with spatial resolution of 1.5 m and 0.5 m respectively) and other data sources (e.g., the World Bank’s Living Standards Measurement Study surveys, LSMS – http://surveys.worldbank.org/lsms), the Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS – https://dhsprogram.com), and the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI – https://ophi.org.uk)).
The preferred start date is May 2020, but negotiable.
- PhD in Computer Science in the field of deep learning and machine learning
- Knowledge of satellite image analysis is a plus
- Proficiency in Python programming
- Fluent English
- Good communication skills
- Ambition to pursue high-profile and interdisciplinary research
The Foundation for research on biodiversity (FRB) was created in 2008. It gathers public research institutions, environmental NGOs, land and genetic resources managers and the private sector. It provides a forum where science meets society in order to address the current challenges related to biodiversity research.
The Centre for Synthesis and Analysis of Biodiversity (CESAB) is FRB’s main programme and a leading research organization in Europe, with an international reputation. Launched in 2008 after the “Grenelle de l’Environnement” by the Ministries for research and for ecology, it was created by eight public research institutions (BRGM, CIRAD, CNRS, IFREMER, INRA, IRD, IRSTEA and MNHN), joined in 2014 by LVMH and in 2017 by the University of Montpellier.
Its aim is to implement the innovative work of synthesis and analysis of existing data in the field of biodiversity. Advancing knowledge, developing culture and collaboration, facilitating links between scientific disciplines and with the stakeholders, are the main objectives of CESAB, which welcomes every year a large number of researchers from all continents.