The FRB was created in 2008 and brings together public research organisations, environmental associations, managers of spaces and biological resources, as well as companies.
It is a point of convergence between science and society, around the challenges facing biodiversity research today.
[Biodiversa+] Project officer for NetworkNature
Duration: Fixed-term contract for 1 year. This is a full-time position. Monthly salary: 2,620 € gross income, depending on education and experience
Starting date: January 1st, 2024
Application deadline: November 22nd, 2023
Host Structure :
About Biodiversa+: Biodiversa+ is the European co-funded biodiversity partnership under Horizon Europe, supporting excellent research on biodiversity with an impact for policy and society. It was jointly developed by BiodivERsA and the European Commission (DG Research & Innovation and DG Environment) and was officially launched on 1 October 2021.
About Fondation pour la Recherche sur la Biodiversité (FRB) : The FRB is a partner in Biodiversa+, contributing to various activities at the science-societypolicy interface, and hosts part of the partnership’s operational team. The FRB was created in 2008 and brings together public research organizations, environmental associations, land and biological resource managers, and businesses. The FRB is a focal point for science and society, focusing on the challenges facing research on biodiversity today. The FRB is a foundation for scientific cooperation under private law and operates independently.
For more information:
Biodiversa+ is involved in NetworkNature, the multi-stakeholder European platform on Nature-based solutions. The project, will operate for four years with the following objectives:
- Supporting EU, Member States, and international policy-making by promoting the integration and mobilisation of NBS knowledge.
- Expanding, guiding, and engaging the community of innovators, developers, and practitioners involved in NBS.
- Enhancing the capacities and skills of public authorities, investors, entrepreneurs in NBS, and society as a whole.
In NetworkNature, Biodiversa+ is in charge of coordinating and implementing activities linked to research and innovation. These activities include:
- Facilitating the implementation and updating of the European research and Innovation Roadmap on Nature-based solutions.
- Further developing the evidence base on R&I related to NBS, through the Mapping of NBS R&I projects and the development of a database on NBS knowledge gaps.
Education and work experience:
- Master’s Degree in the field of ecological and/or environmental sciences or a related field.
- At least two 2 years of relevant professional experience in the field of ecological and/or environmental sciences or a related field, ideally with a background in natural science and/or NBS.
Skills and personal qualities:
- Excellent reading and drafting skills in English are an absolute requirement:
- Clear understanding of scientific communication in English;
- Writing in a clear, synthetic style in English.
- Organisational skills:
- Organising information and work;
- Capacity to understand and follow guidelines to coherently implement a systematic process;
- Attention to detail and overall coherence in implementing activities.
- Research, Data Management and Analysis:
- Querying, database management and data analysis;
- Proficiency in conducting research and analysis;
- Ability to collect, synthesise, and present information effectively.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in France (support to work permits is not provided). Applications will not be considered if submitted by people non-eligible to work in France;
- This position falls under French labour law, the official employer being the French Foundation for Research on Biodiversity, on behalf of the Biodiversa+ Partnership.
>> see full job description <<
Please send a CV and a cover letter by November 22nd, 2023 to:
- Mariem EL Harrak, Biodiversa+ Officer in charge of Nature-based solutions and business and biodiversity – firstname.lastname@example.org;
- and Frédéric Lemaître, Biodiversa+ Operational manager for society and policy impact – email@example.com.
For further information, please contact :
Mariem EL Harrak – firstname.lastname@example.org
Data-scientist for the FRB-CESAB project BLUEJUSTICE
Contract: 11 months fixed term, full time
Salary: from 2620 € gross per month, meal-tickets, partial coverage of transport and health insurance costs.
Closing date for application: October 15th 2023
Starting date: mid-November 2023
- The project:
The BLUE JUSTICE partnership will produce original, solution-oriented research based on the synthesis of multiple existing, and newly assembled, global datasets on social and ecological conditions in marine systems. Specifically, we will examine the relationship between marine conservation governance and social-ecological outcomes, generating novel insights on the conditions that promote equity and climate resilience in vulnerable coastal groups (including women and Indigenous groups), and produce the first global evidence-base on innovative pathways towards greater equity and resilience in marine conservation
- Job description:
- Assemble and manage global datasets on social and ecological conditions in marine systems to examine the relationship between climate vulnerability, marine conservation, and equity across local to global scales;
- Contribute to the building, standardization and management of a shared database among project partners;
- Data mining and Statistical analysis (selection and application of the most appropriate existing statistical methods);
- Support for the implementation of an analysis reproducibility strategy (via R/Python, Markdown and GitHub for example);
- Assist the coordination of the BLUE JUSTICE project.
Requirements and qualifications:
A research-oriented profile master degree (diploma required: PhD, engineer/master’s degree) with training in an environmental field and statistics. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated person with an interdisciplinary background and training.
- Strong quantitative skills: proficiency in statistical analyses and model ing techniques applied to ecology and socio-economic fields
- Big Data Analytics: Experience working with and synthesizing different types of social and ecological data at various spatial scales , and large spatial datasets in R or GIS
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms and techniques
- Data visualizaiton techniques
- Proficient in programming languages in R, as well as have experience with SQL for data manipulation and analysis
- Advanced skills in reproducibility research tools (Git, Markdown, etc.) data visualization techniques.
- Good team player, able to work independently and coordinate with large interdisciplinary teams and in different time zones,
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Experience working with GitHub, cloud, or cluster computing
- Qualitative data skills considered an asset
- Experience with marine science and/or tropical environment
- Application procedure:
- Names and email addresses of 3 references
- A short cover letter describing your background and career goals (max 12 pages)
- Google scholar profile (if possible)